Undergraduate Catalog 2015-16
+ More About this Major
General Studies (BGS) with a concentration in Women's and Gender Studies (GWS)
Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 24.0102
USF's Bachelor of General Studies Degree (BGS) is a customized, interdisciplinary degree that provides students with options to choose an appropriate academic program that fits their educational and professional goals. The BGS major provides mid-career, adult students with the opportunity to integrate completion of the baccalaureate degree into their established lifestyle.
BGS students will take an active role in creating their academic plans. Rather than choosing a traditional major, BGS students can choose from a number of established plans of study or can create their own individualized plan of study. BGS students complete 24-27 credits (core courses and electives) within a selected concentration in addition to their other degree requirements.
The Women’s and Gender Studies concentration offers a critical examination of women’s experiences and issues through history, culture, race, ethnicity, class, sexuality, and other important intersections of identity. The program seeks to provide students with a sound educational basis for graduate work or further professional pursuits in health, education, activism, social service, or social justice.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
There are no state mandated common course prerequisites for this major.
Total Major Hours: 24 Hours
Major Core Courses - 3 HoursUSF Capstone EXIT Requirement:
- IDS 4934 Senior Capstone for BSAS/BGS
Concentration Core Courses - 6 Hours
Concentration Elective Courses - 15 Hours
Choose six credit hours from the following list of courses:
- COM 4030 Women and Communication
- SYD 4800 Gender and Society
- WST 2250 Female Experience in America
- WST 2600 Human Sexual Behavior
- WST 3324 Women, Environment, and Gender
- WST 3370 Women and Social Action
- WST 4002 Feminist Research Methods
- WST 4262 Literature by Women of Color in the Diaspora
- WST 4310 History of Feminism in the US
- WST 4320 Politics and Issues in Women's Health
- WST 4522 Classics in Feminist Theory
- WST 4930 Selected Topics