Undergraduate Catalog 2015-2016
Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science (B.A. or B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 52.1499
Muma College of Business
The Advertising major in the Muma College of Business is unique in that it is a collaborative effort between the Zimmerman School of Advertising and Mass Communications in the College of Arts and Sciences and the Marketing Department in the Muma College of Business. The major complements an existing Advertising track in the Mass Communications major and provides students the opportunity to combine the creative, media, and account planning aspects of advertising with knowledge, skills, and abilities in accounting, economics, finance, information systems, management, marketing and strategy.
College Level Requirements
Limited Access - This major has additional admissions requirements as listed in this section.
Admission to the Muma College of Business is based upon availability of faculty and space within each discipline. The Muma College of Business is an upper-level, limited access college, which means that it has admission requirements in addition to those of the University in general. Students interested in pursuing a degree in the areas offered by the Muma College of Business must complete the required prerequisites for entering the College in addition to other related criteria listed below.
Students must satisfy the following criteria:
- Minimum of 60 semester hours of college credit earned.
- Minimum of a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on all college-level work and a minimum of 2.0 on all credit attempted at USF, including any prior to renewal. NOTE: Beginning Fall 2013 the Muma College of Business will establish each fall a new minimum overall GPA required to satisfy the limited access GPA admission requirement. The minimum overall GPA will range between a 2.5 with a maximum required GPA of a 2.75. Students will be notified each fall as to the minimum entrance GPA required for the following fall semester. Notification will occur through Canvas and updated at the following link: http://www.usf.edu/business/undergraduate/requirements-general.aspx.
- In computing entry grade point average, all business and economics courses taken for S or U grades will be converted to C or F, respectively.
- A minimum score of 550 on paper and pencil or 213 on computerized TOEFL is required, when applicable.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Transfer credits will be accepted from accredited institutions; however, all hours earned may not be applied toward USF business degree requirements. Individual courses will be evaluated by an academic advisor and appropriately credited toward requirements in the student's program at USF.
Florida public state or community college students enrolled in an Associate of Arts (AA) program should normally complete the general education requirements and the State Mandated Common Prerequisites at a Florida College System institution. As a rule, AA students should avoid taking any business courses at the state or community college that are listed as 3000- and 4000-level courses at USF. Normally, courses in finance, marketing, management, and accounting, as well as other business administration and economics courses, taken at the lower division level that are offered as upper division courses at USF will not be accepted for upper division credit in business administration or economics. In general, business courses taken at the lower level, at technical schools, or as part of professional or military training, are not applicable to the degree programs of the Muma College of Business. Exceptions to this policy will be made only upon proper validation of such courses. Validation consists of successfully completing specified advanced courses in the discipline.
- Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (AS) program in Business Administration are fully admissible to USF. Please see a business advisor to determine the articulation courses, discuss admission to the Muma College of Business and prepare a program plan for degree completion. Students transferring to the Muma College of Business with an A.S. in Business Administration may earn a major in General Business Administration only.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (A.S.) program in any other discipline should contact the TRansitional Advising Center, SVC 2043, (813) 974-2645, for information regarding course transferability and degree articulation.
Completion of the following State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites (or equivalents) with a grade of C- or higher in each course and an overall 2.0 GPA:
- *ACG X021 or ACG X022 Financial Accounting or (ACG X001 & ACG X011)
- *ACG X071 Managerial Accounting or ACG X301
- CGS X100 Computers in Business (or acceptable Substitute, i.e., CGS X100C, CGS X530, CGS X570, CGS X060, CGS X531, CGS X000, ISM X000)
- ECO X013 Principles of Macroeconomics
- ECO X023 Principles of Microeconomics
- MAC X233 Elementary Calculus or MAC X230
- STA X023 Introductory Statistics or QMB X100 or STA X122 (although STA X023 and QMB X100 are preferred).
Total Major Hours: 53 Hours
Within the 120-semester hour program listed in the Business General Requirement section (including the state mandated common prerequisites), students must pass the EDT (English Diagnostic Test), complete all courses listed below with a minimum grade of C, not C-, participate in a study abroad experience, and live in the Zimmerman Advertising Program (ZAP) Living Learning Community during their freshmen and sophomore years.
Major Core Courses - 33 Hours
Required Courses for Advertising major:
- ADV 3008 Introduction to Advertising
- ADV 3101 Advertising Creativity
- ADV 3300 Advertising Media Strategy
- ADV 4600 Advertising Management
- ADV 4800 Advertising Campaigns
- ADV 4940 Advertising Practicum
- MAR 3613 Marketing Research
- MMC 4936 Selected Topics in Mass Communications Studies
- MAR 4503 Buyer Behavior
Required Mass Communication Core Courses:
Major Elective Courses - 20 Hours
Required Business Electives:
- CGS 2100 Computers in Business
- MAR 3823 Marketing Management
- MAR 4933 Selected Topics in Marketing: Social Media Applications
- MAR XXXX Upper-Level Marketing Elective
Required Non-Business Electives:
All undergraduate students in any degree program can participate in undergraduate research. There are a number of options to receive academic credit for a mentored research experience and to have the experience show on the official transcript. Students who wish to enroll in an undergraduate research course should consult with their academic advisor to understand how the credit will apply towards the degree requirements. If no credit is needed, students may be eligible to enroll in the 0-credit IDS 2912 or IDS 4914 courses. These courses will not impact degree credits or GPA but will show on an official transcript and document the experience. The Office for Undergraduate Research will assist students in understanding the various course options.
Major Internship Opportunities
Advertising students will be required to complete internships as part of their degree program.
More About this Major
This major has an accelerated track that confers an undergraduate and graduate degree upon completion.Show Me More
There are research opportunities associated with this major.Hide
There is internship information associated with this major.Hide
There are additional requirements for this major such as grade, GPA, foreign language, and/or general education requirements.Show Me More
There is more information available for this major such as faculty, advising, and/or accreditation information.Show Me More