Undergraduate Catalog 2014-2015
Studio Art (SBA)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 50.0701
College of The Arts
This degree is designed to develop the student's consciousness of aesthetic and ideological aspects of art and its relationship to life. The degree also assists students in the realization of personal ideas, artmaking skills and imagery. The BA is oriented toward a general and broad immersion in the field. Studio courses are supplemented with studies in art history, foreign language and an abundance of electives both within the School of Art and Art History and throughout the campus. While the BA in Studio Art is not usually the preferred preparation for moving on to the Master of Fine Arts degree, it is quite appropriate for seeking other advanced degrees, especially in the Liberal Arts or other similar programs.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
The School of Art & Art History encourages students who wish to transfer from Florida Community Colleges to complete their A.A. prior to transfer. If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university's entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements. Please be aware of the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students may complete the prerequisite courses listed below prior to entering the university. Unless stated otherwise, a grade of "C" is the minimum acceptable grade. The following prerequisite courses will be accepted as meeting lower level requirements:
Note: It is recommended that transfer students complete both Design I and Design II prior to transfer. If a student does not complete Design I and Design II prior to transfer they should wait and enroll in ART 2201C (Concepts and Practices I) and ART 2203C (Concepts and Practices II) at USF.
- ART X201 Design I
- ART X202 Design II or ART X203
- ART X300 Drawing I
- ART X301 Drawing II or ART X330 or ART X205 or ART X310 or ART X305
- ART X050 Art History Survey I
- ART X051 Art History Survey II
- ART XXXX 6 semester hours of ART courses
Total Major Hours: 56 Hours
Major Core Courses - 56 Hours
- Art Preparation (18 credit hours):
- ARH 2050 History of Visual Arts I*
- ARH 2051 History of Visual Arts II*
- ART 2201C Concepts and Practices I**
- ART 2203C Concepts and Practices II**
- ART 2301C Beginning Drawing
- ART 3310C Intermediate Drawing *History of Visual Arts I and II must be used to satisfy the FKL "Humanities" requirement if the student is to remain within 120 hours for the degree.
**Concepts and Practices I or II must be used to satisfy the FKL "Fine Arts" requirement if the student is to remain within 120 hours for the degree.
All studio courses, other than those designated as core or beginning studios, require the completion of the following core courses: ART 2201C or equivalent, ART 2203C or equivalent, ARH 2050 or ARH 2051, and ART 2301C or equivalent and ART 3310C or equivalent. Students intending to pursue the Studio B.F.A should refer to our web site at http://www.art.usf.edu for the scheduled review date.
- Beginning Studio Workshops (12 credit hours):
- ART 2400C Beginning Printmaking
- ART 2500C Beginning Painting
- ART 2701C Beginning Sculpture
- ART 2750C Beginning Ceramics
- ART 3612C Digital Video and Electronic Arts
- PGY 2401C Beginning Photography
These courses may not be repeated. These courses are prerequisites to the intermediate-level Studio Courses. Students must take at least one two-dimensional and one three-dimensional beginning studio course.
- Intermediate Studio Workshops (12 credit hours):
- 3000-Level Studio
B.A. students may substitute an advanced studio for their final intermediate studio by permission of the instructor of the advanced studio.
- Expanded Context Courses (3 credit hours):
- Art History (9 credit hours):
- ARH 4170 Greek & Roman
- ARH 4200 Medieval
- ARH 4301 Renaissance
- ARH 4350 Baroque and Rococo
- ARH 4430 19th Century
- ARH 4450 20th Century**
- ARH 4475C Contemporary Issues in Art
- ARH 4520 African
- ARH 4530 Asian Art
- ARH 4800 Critical Studies
- ARH 4930 Art History: Selected Topics*** *Three (3) credit hours may be taken in either ARH 4800 Critical Studies in Art History seminar or ART 4900 Directed Readings.
**ARH 4450 is required of all majors.
***ARH 4930 Art History: Selected Topics may be taken for degree credit only by approval of the academic advisor for the School of Art and Art History.
- Additional Requirements (2 credit hours):
- Extended Studies* *Paris Program, Public Art, Museum Internships, Community Art, Artists Internships/Apprenticeships, and London Middlesex Program.
More About this Major
There are research opportunities associated with this major.Show Me More
There are additional requirements for this major such as grade, GPA, foreign language, and/or general education requirements.Show Me More
There is more information available for this major such as faculty, advising, and/or accreditation information.Show Me More