Undergraduate Catalog 2014-15
+ More About this Major
Dance (DAN) with a concentration in Dance Studies (DAS)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 50.0301 (Track 1 of 2)
College of The Arts
The focus of this degree is to enable the student to combine dance with another area of interest and encourage the development of an individualized program of study through the selection of general education requirements as well as a focused selection of elective courses. The selection of electives should be designed to provide each student with the maximum value of a liberal arts education within a focused area of study. A student with additional interest in another field (e.g., African Studies, Anthropology, Communications, Education, History, Psychology, Religious Studies, Theatre, Women's Studies, etc.) should complete focused study in that area along with the core of study in dance. Each student is required to develop a final independent project incorporating dance with his or her focused study. Dance students must continue to take at least one technique course each semester. At the end of the third semester the faculty will determine if appropriate progression has been made for continuation in the B.A. Dance major.
College Level Requirements
Limited Access - This major has additional admissions requirements as listed in this section.
The B.A. in Dance is a limited access program and is designed to provide students with a comprehensive core of study in Studio Technique, Choreographic Studies, and Dance Theory.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
The College of The Arts encourages students to complete the A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet Foundations of Knowledge and Learning Requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university. If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university's entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements. Please be aware of the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students are encouraged to complete the following required courses and/or electives (if available) during the program of study at the community college. If these courses are not taken at the community college, they must be completed before the degree is granted. Unless stated otherwise, a grade of "C" is the minimum acceptable grade. If students are coming to the university from a Florida College System institution, the following prerequisite courses will be accepted as meeting lower level requirements.
Although credit or elective credit toward the major will be given for these courses, placement in upper-level technique classes will continue to be based on individual proficiency. Other technique courses in other styles of dance may be accepted toward the major on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the university. Transfer dance credits must be evaluated by faculty and dance advisor at time of entrance.
- DAN X603 or DAN X610 (2 credit hours)
- TPA X200 or TPA X223 or TPA X232 (3 credit hours)
- DAA X200-X209 (9 credit hours)
- up to 10 credit hours of any lower-level Ballet Technique courses within the X200-X209 taxonomy
- DAA X100-X109 (9 credit hours)
- up to 10 credit hours of any lower level-Modern Technique courses within the X100-X109 taxonomy
Total Major Hours: 65 Hours
Concentration Core Courses - 65 HoursStudio Technique (33 semester hours)
- DAA 2204 Ballet I
- DAA 2104 Modern Dance I
- DAA 3108 Modern Dance II
- DAA 3214 Ballet II
- DAA 3109 Modern Dance III or DAA 3209 Ballet III
- DAA 3395 World Dance Topics
- DAA 3624 Dance Improvisation
- DAA 3614 Choreography I
- DAA 3615 Choreography II
- DAA 4616 Choreography III
- DAA 4617 Choreography IV
- DAA 3686 Junior Performance Project
- DAA 4687 Performance
- DAN 4906 Directed Study: Independent Research Project
- DAN 2160 Entry Seminar
- DAN 3584 Technical Theatre in Dance
- DAN 3615 Music for Dance II (Note: The prerequisite for this course is DAN 3614.)
- DAN 3714 Dance Kinesiology
- DAN 4134 Ballet History (FKL WRIN course)
- DAN 4135 20th Century Dance History (FKL Capstone course)
- DAN 4162 Research in Dance
- DAN 4180 Dance Senior Seminar