Undergraduate Catalog 2013-2014
Public Health (GPH)
18 Credit Hours
College of Public Health
The goal of the General Public Health Minor is to develop in a broad range of students an understanding and appreciation of the field of Public Health.
Upon completion of the General Public Health Minor coursework, a student will be able to:
- Articulate the role of public health in disease prevention and health promotion at the local, state, national and global level.
- Describe public health concepts and issues.
- Discuss and analyze current public health issues.
- Describe career paths in public health.
- Develop an understanding of public health that can serve as a foundation for the pursuit of graduate public health degrees.
Total Minor Hours - 18 Hours
Core InformationThe General Public Health Minor consists of 18 credit hours. It is recommended that students follow the sequence of courses listed below. These courses will give students a broad overview of public health concepts. Departmental courses can then be selected from a wide range of College of Public Health courses in consultation with the undergraduate academic advisors. Students are encouraged to select departmental courses that provide a cohesive learning experience based on their individual interests and goals, assisted by academic advisors in the student's major and College of Public Health.
Core Courses - 9 Hours
- PHC 4101 Introduction to Public Health
- HSC 4551 Survey of Human Disease
- PHC 4030 Introduction to Epidemiology
Elective Courses - 9 Hours
- HSC 2100 Contemporary Health Science
- HSC 2130 Sex, Health and Decision Making
- PHC 3302 Introduction to Environmental & Occupational Health
- HSC 3541 Human Structure and Function
- PHC 4069 Biostatistics in Society
- HSC 4172 Women's Health: A Public Health Perspective
- HSC 4211 Health, Behavior and Society
- PHC 4406 Pop Culture, Vices and Epidemiology
- HSC 4504 Foundations of Public Health Immunology
- HSC 4537 Medical Terminology
- HSC 4580 Foundations of Food Safety
- HSC 4579 Foundations of Maternal and Child Health
- HSC 4624 Foundations of Global Health
- PHC 4031 Emerging Infectious Diseases
- PHC 4931 Health Care Ethics
- PHC 3320 Environmental Health Science
- PHC 3721 Research Methods in Environmental and Occupational Health
- HSC 4213 Environmental and Occupational Risk Analysis
- HSC 4430 Occupational Health and Safety
- PHC 4188 Public Health Emergencies in Large Populations
- PHC 4234 Public and Private Continuity Planning for Emergencies
- PHC 4241 Psychology of Fear and Mental Health Issues Related to Disasters
- PHC 4375 Community Participation in Homeland Security
- PHC 4376 Disaster by Design: Exercise Development for Homeland Security Professionals
- HSC 4933 Special Topics in Public Health*