Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
+ More About this Major
Communication (SPE) with a concentration in Public Advocacy (SAD)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 23.1304
College of Arts & Sciences
Communication focuses on the concepts, theories, and practice of human communication. Students apply their understanding of communication research and principles to personal, professional, and community relationships and concerns.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students must complete SPC 2608, Public Speaking, before being admitted to the Communication major. A student can be admitted to the university without SPC 2608, but it must be completed as part of requirements for the major.
Total Major Hours: 36 Hours
A major in Communication requires a minimum of 36 credit hours from departmental offerings.
Major Core Courses - 15 HoursThis course is a prerequisite for declaring the communication major:
- SPC 2608 Public Speaking
Students must take each of these four courses as early as possible in the major. These courses are prerequisites for taking many of the more advanced courses in the respective concentrations.
- COM 2000 Introduction to Communication
- ORI 2000 Introduction to Communication as Performance
- SPC 3301 Interpersonal Communication
- SPC 2541 Persuasion
Major Elective Courses - 6 Hours
Students must take 6 additional hours of elective coursework from any concentration in the Department of Communication at the 3000-level or higher.
The concentrations of the following courses will be designated when offered
- COM 4958 Communication Senior Capstone
- SPC 4930 Selected Topics (titles and topics vary each semester)
- SPC 4932 Senior Seminar
The following courses are contracted individually between student and instructor. The concentration will be designated when the course is contracted.
- SPC 4900 Directed Readings
- SPC 4903 Honors Readings
- SPC 4905 Undergraduate Research
- SPC 4970 Honors Thesis
- COM 3014 Communication, Gender and Identity
- COM 3413 Communication and Visual Culture
- COM 4016 Public Memory
- COM 4030 Women and Communication
- COM 4050 Globalization and Democratic Discourse
- COM 4104 Communication, Tourism, and Travel
- ORI 4019 Performing Identity and Culture
- ORI 4410 Performance Art
- SPC 3230 Rhetorical Theory
- SPC 3425 Group Communication
- SPC 3513 Argumentation and Debate
- SPC 3602 Advanced Public Speaking
- SPC 3653 Popular Forms of Public Communication
- SPC 3680 Rhetorical Analysis
- SPC 3710 Communication and Cultural Diversity
- SPC 4683 Rhetorical Analysis of Mass Media
- SPC 4701 Intercultural Communication
- SPC 4714 Communication, Culture and Community