Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
+ More About this Major
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 45.1101 (Track 2 of 2)
College of Arts & Sciences
The Sociology major is designed to provide students with a broad liberal arts education and a greater understanding and insight into the social systems and processes that bear upon everyday lives. Opportunities for students with Bachelor's degrees in Sociology are quite varied. Some go on to work for human service agencies; others work in personnel, criminal justice, and urban planning; others enter graduate programs in sociology, education, law, medicine, or social work. Toward these ends, all students are encouraged to become skilled in the use of computers and libraries.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete the A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education Requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university. If students transfer without an A.A. degree and have fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the students must meet the university's entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
SYA XXXX or SYD XXX or SYG XXX, SYO XXX or SYP XXX (6 credit hours)
A grade of "C-" is the minimum acceptable grade.
Total Major Hours: 36 Hours
The major consists of a minimum of 36 credit hours of Sociology coursework plus STA 2122 Social Science Statistics or its equivalent.Areas of Concentration
Sociology majors may choose to complete an optional area of concentration in either "Inequality and Social Justice" or "Identity and Community" by completing one required course and three elective courses (all with a grade of C- or better) listed within the area selected. In some cases, it may be possible to complete both areas of concentration, however, students may count a particular course as an elective for only one area of concentration.
Major Core Courses - 12 Hours
The minimum of 36 credit hours in Sociology must include the following four core courses (12 hours):
- SYG 2000 Introduction to Sociology (May be replaced with an upper level sociology elective if a total of 12 or more hours of sociology coursework is completed before declaring a Sociology major)
- SYA 3110 Classical Theory
- SYA 3300 Research Methods (Prerequisite: STA 2122 Social Science Statistics or its equivalent)
- SYA 4935 Senior Seminar
Major Elective Courses - 24 Hours
The remaining 24 hours of Sociology coursework may be comprised of any upper-level courses offered by the Sociology department. In addition, SYG 2010 Contemporary Social Problems may count toward these 24 hours of electives. No more than three hours each of SYA 4910 Individual Research and SYA 4949, Sociological Internship, may count toward the 24 hours of electives.
Optional Honors Program
Through the Undergraduate Honors Program, the Department of Sociology provides its outstanding students with opportunities to work closely with faculty and graduate students with shared interests in specific areas of social experience. Students accepted into the program select a faculty mentor with expertise in the area of study of interest to the student. Under the supervision of this mentor, honors students conduct sociological research in their area of interest culminating in the preparation of an honors thesis. Students apply to the Honors Program in the Spring Semester during their junior year for admission for the following fall. Admission to the program is competitive. Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.
- Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
- Junior standing.
- 12 semester hours of Sociology course work with a major GPA of 3.0 by the end of the semester in which application is made.
- Overall USF GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Selection and approval of faculty mentor.
- Completion Requirements:
- Completion of all requirements for the major.
- Completion of at least one upper-level elective relevant to the thesis (course must be approved by faculty mentor).
- USF overall and major GPA of at least 3.0.
- Successful completion of the Honors Seminar.
- Successful completion of the Honors Thesis (SYA 4910 and the thesis itself). Applications for the Undergraduate Honors Program in Sociology are available in the Sociology department (CPR 209).