Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
+ More About this Major
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 42.0101
College of Arts & Sciences
The undergraduate program in Psychology offers the student a well-rounded liberal arts education. In addition, the program provides excellent training for qualified students who wish to pursue graduate work in such disciplines as Clinical, Cognitive and Neural Sciences or Industrial Psychology, Education, Gerontology, Counseling, Management, Medicine, Law, and other human service programs. The undergraduate major emphasizes the breadth of psychology while allowing the student some electives to pursue in depth a particular aspect of the field. Interested undergraduate majors may apply for admission to the Honors Program. For more information, please visit the Psychology Department's website.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course PrerequisitesPsychology is not a limited access program, but transfer students are encouraged to complete the following state - approved prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken prior to transferring to USF, they must be completed before the degree is granted. Unless stated otherwise, a grade of "C" is the minimum acceptable grade.
- BSC X0XX General Biology course (or BSC X20X or ZOO X010)
- PSY X012 Introduction to Psychological Science
- PSY XXXXAny other lower-level Psychology course within the Psychology inventory (i.e., CLP, DEP, EAB, EXP, INP, PCO, PPE, and PSB prefixes).
- STA XXXX Any level Statistics course
Total Major Hours: 34-37 Hours
Major CoreMajors must complete at least 34 credit hours of specified Psychology major coursework.
Major Core Courses - 25 Hours
- Introductory Psychology Requirements (10 credit hours):
- PSY 2012 Introduction to Psychological Science
- PSY 3204 Psychological Statistics or any approved statistics course
- PSY 3213 Research Methods in Psychology
After the introductory psychology requirements, students may choose among courses within the following categories to satisfy the remaining requirements.
- One Methods Course: (3 credit hours):
- EXP 4204C Perception
- EXP 4404 Psychology of Learning
- PSB 4004C Physiological Psychology
- EXP 4304 Motivation
- EXP 4680C Cognitive Psychology
- CLP 4143 Abnormal Psychology
- INP 4004 Industrial Psychology
- SOP 4004 Social Psychology
- DEP 4053 Developmental Psychology
- PPE 4003 Personality
Major Elective Courses - 9-12 Hours
Psychology Elective Courses (9-12 credit hours):
If a student takes PSY 3204 to meet the statistics requirement, the student must take three Psychology elective courses (9 credit hours). However, if a student took a different statistics course, the student must take four Psychology elective courses (12 credit hours).
The Psychology elective courses may be chosen from the courses listed in the above categories beyond the required number for each group and/or any of the following;
- PSB 3444 Drugs and Behavior**
- GEY 4612 Psychology of Aging**
- CBH 4004 Comparative Psychology
- CLP 4414 Behavior Modification
- SOP 4514 Holocaust Soc. Prejudice**
- SOP 4330 HIV/AIDS
- PSY 4913 Directed Study (Instructor's permission is required to take this course)
- PSY 4931 Select Topics (Generally this course require the instructor's permission.)
**No prerequisite required.