Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
+ More About this Major
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 40.0801 (Track 1 of 2)
College of Arts & Sciences
The B.S. program is intended for students planning to pursue graduate studies in physics or a closely related field.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete the A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education Requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university. If students transfer with fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the students must meet the university's entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
The transfer student should also be aware of the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses listed below at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at the community college, they must be completed before the degree is granted. Unless stated otherwise, a grade of "C" is the minimum acceptable grade.
- CHM X045/X045L General Chemistry I (with lab) or CHM X040 & CHM X041 or CHM X045C
- CHM X046/X046L General Chemistry II (with lab) or CHM X046C
- MAC X311 Calculus I or MAC X281
- MAC X312 Calculus II or MAC X282
- MAC X313 Calculus III or MAC X283
- PHY X048/X048L General Physics I or PHY X048C
- PHY X049/X049L General Physics II or PHY X049C
Total Major Hours: 76 Hours
Major Core Courses - 71 Hours
Physics Courses (47 hours):
- PHY 2048 General Physics I
- PHY 2048L General Physics I Lab
- PHY 2049 General Physics II
- PHY 2049L General Physics II Lab
- PHY 3101 Modern Physics
- PHZ 3113 Mathematical Methods in Physics
- PHY 3822L Intermediate Lab
- PHY 3220 Mechanics
- PHY 3323 Electricity and Magnetism I
- PHY 4823L Advanced Laboratory
- PHY 4910 Undergraduate Research (2 hours recommended)
- PHY 4604 Introduction to Quantum Mechanics
- PHY 4930 Undergraduate Seminar
- PHY 4324 Electricity and Magnetism II
- PHY 4523 Statistical Physics
- PHY 4605 Quantum Mechanics II
- CHM 2045 General Chemistry I
- CHM 2045L General Chemistry I Lab
- CHM 2046 General Chemistry II
- CHM 2046L General Chemistry II Lab
- MAC 2311 Calculus I or MAC 2281 Engineering Calculus I
- MAC 2312 Calculus II or MAC 2282 Engineering Calculus II
- MAC 2313 Calculus III or MAC 2283 Engineering Calculus III
Major Elective Courses - 5 Hours
Plus 5 credit hours of Physics electives subject to approval of undergraduate advisor.
Additional Major Requirements
Major Grade Requirement
A minimum grade of "C" is required for all physics classes in the curriculum.
Major Residency Requirement
A minimum of 20 credit hours of physics courses in residency.