Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
+ More About this Major
Nursing: RN to Bachelor's Sequence (NRN)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 51.3801
College of Nursing
Major DescriptionThe RN to BS (NRN) sequence is for students currently licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse. The RN to BS option allows an RN with a diploma or an associate's degree in nursing from a regionally accredited school to earn a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in nursing.
College Level Requirements
Limited Access - This major has additional admissions requirements as listed in this section.
The College of Nursing is a limited access program. Any student who applies to the undergraduate program at the College of Nursing is initially coded as "pre-nursing" prior to official acceptance to the College of Nursing.Admissions Requirements:
- Current RN licensure and either an Associate of Science in Nursing degree from a regionally accredited institution, or diploma in Nursing
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
The University's Foundations of Knowledge and Learning Core Curriculum (General Education) requirements and College of Nursing's prerequisite/support courses may be completed through the A.A. degree from a Florida College System institution. If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university's entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements. The A.A. degree satisfies admission requirements only if courses are carefully selected and include the required major prerequisite/support courses.
The College of Nursing requires certain courses within the Foundations of Knowledge and Learning Core Curriculum (General Education) requirement for the natural, social and behavioral sciences, and mathematics. Students must complete the prerequisite courses listed below prior to being admitted to the upper-division sequence except those students in the C.A.R.E. program. All prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of "C" or higher.
All courses not approved by the Florida State Course Numbering System (includes all Florida public colleges, universities, and College System institutions) used to satisfy these prerequisite requirements will be evaluated individually on the basis of content and will require a catalog course description and a copy of the syllabus for assessment.
BSC X085C Human Anatomy & Physiology I or any Human Anatomy & Physiology I course, 4 semester hours
BSC X086C Human Anatomy & Physiology II or any Human Anatomy & Physiology II course, 4 semester hours
CHM, BSC, PHY, PCB, BCH XXXX Any Chemistry, Biology, Physics, or Biochemistry course, 3 semester hours
DEP X004 Human Growth & Development or any Human Growth & Development course, 3 semester hours
HUN X201 Human Nutrition or any Human Nutrition course OR NUR 1192, 3 semester hours
MCB X010C Microbiology or Any Microbiology course, 4 semester hours
PSY, SYG, or SOP XXXX Any Psychology, Sociology, or Social Psychology course, 3 semester hours
STA X014 Statistics or any Statistics course, 3 semester hours
Total Major Hours: 30 Hours
Major Core Courses - 15 HoursCore Courses (15 credit hours):
- NUR 3805 Educational Transitions for Registered Nurses
- NUR 3078 Information Technology Skills for Nurses
- NUR 4895C Educational Role of the Nurse in Healthcare
- NUR 4828C Foundations of Nursing Healthcare Leadership & Management
- NUR 4169C Evidence-Based Practice for Baccalaureate Prepared Nurse
- NUR 4634C Population Health
Major Elective Courses - 15 Hours
Cluster Courses (15 credit hours):
Students select one of three clusters during the second semester. The three clusters are: Clinical Practice; Education; Leadership. Students must complete at least two courses from the selected cluster. Remaining credits may be selected from any cluster. Please contact and academic advisor in Nursing for required cluster courses.
- NSP 3147 Web-Based Education for Staff Development
- NSP 3640 Introduction to Military & Veteran Healthcare
- NUR 3678 Nursing Healthcare for Vulnerable Populations
- NSP 3880 Foundations of Healthcare QI & Patient Safety
- NSP 4148 Simulation for Nursing Practice
- NSP 4485 An Interdisciplinary Perspective on HIV
- NSP 4545 Substance Abuse Across the Lifespan
- NSP 4855 Skills for Nursing Staff Development Educator
- NSP 4881 Healthcare Human Resources Systems & Strategies
- NUR 3826 Ethical/Legal Aspects of Nursing & Health Care
- NUR 4069 Health Assessment for Registered Nurses
- NUR 4128 Pathophysiology/Pharmacology
- NUR 4850 Fundamentals of Healthcare Finance for RNs
Additional Major Requirements
- Completion of all other University Baccalaureate degree requirements
- Additional coursework may be required to meet the USF graduation credit hour requirement.
Major GPA Requirement
Minimum 2.50 cumulative GPA on all undergraduate coursework
Major Grade Requirement
A letter grade of "C" or better is required in all Nursing (NUR) courses.
Major Other Requirements
- Admission to the University of South Florida
- Application to the College of Nursing prior to the published deadline for the intended term of entry