Undergraduate Catalog 2013-2014
Marine Biology (MRN)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 26.0101 (Track 1 of 2)
College of Arts & Sciences
Major DescriptionMarine Biology is the study of life in the oceans. It explores the unique marine environment and the nature of the organisms that inhabit the oceans. The objective of the program is to provide students with a firm foundation in basic biology and the tools necessary to function as professional biologists, with special emphasis on marine ecosystems. The program will prepare students for further education (e.g., ecology, environmental science, biological oceanography, evolutionary biology) or for careers in fields such as aquaculture, aquarium biology and education, conservation biology and education, environmental consulting, and wildlife biology.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course PrerequisitesStudents should complete the following prerequisite courses listed below at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at the community college, they must be completed before the degree is granted. Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C- is the minimum acceptable grade.
- BSC X010/X010L Biology I with Lab or BSC X010C or BSC X040/040L
- BSC X011/X011L Biology II with Lab or BSC X2011C or BSC X041/X041L or ZOO X0101/0101L or BOT X010/X010L or BOT X013/X013L
- CHM X045/X045L General Chemistry I with Lab or CHM X045C or CHM X040 and CHM X041
- CHM X046/X046L General Chemistry II with Lab or CHM X046C
- CHM X210/X210L Organic Chemistry I with Lab and CHM X211/X211L or (CHM X210C and X211C) or (PHY X053/X053L and PHY X054/X054L) or (PHY X048/X048L and PHY X049/X049L)
- MAC X311 Calculus I or MAC X233 or MAC X253 or MAC X281 or MAC X241
- MAC X312 Calculus II or MAC X282 or MAC X234 or STA X023 or STA X024 or STA X321
Total Major Hours: 74-76 Hours
Major Core Courses - 26-27 Hours
Required Courses (26-27 credit hours)
- BSC 2010 Biology I Cellular Processes
- BSC 2010L Biology I Cellular Processes Laboratory
- BSC 2011 Biology II Diversity
- BSC 2011L Biology II Diversity Laboratory
- PCB 3043 Principles of Ecology
- PCB 3043L Principles of Ecology Laboratory
- PCB 3063 General Genetics
- PCB 3063L General Genetics Laboratory
- BSC 3312 Marine Biology
- BSC 4937 Seminar in Marine Biology
- Choose one of:
Major Elective Courses - 48-49 HoursElective Courses (14-15 credit hours):
- BSC 4313C Advanced Marine Biology
- BSC 4933 Special Topics in Biology
- GIS 5049 GIS for Non-Majors
- GLY 4734 Beaches and Coastal Environments
- OCB 6050 Biological Oceanography
- OCC 6050 Chemical Oceanography
- OCP 6050 Physical Oceanography
- PCB 3712 General Physiology and PCB 3713L General Physiology Laboratory
- PCB 4674 Organic Evolution
- PCB 4723 Animal Physiology and PCB 4723L Animal Physiology Laboratory
- MCB 4404 Microbial Physiology and Genetics and MCB 4404L Microbial Physiology & Genetics Laboratory
- MCB 5655 Applied and Environmental Microbiology
- ZOO 4513 Animal Behavior
- ZOO 5555C Marine Animal Ecology
Supporting Courses in the Natural Sciences (minimum 34 credits hours):
- CHM 2045 General Chemistry I
- CHM 2045L General Chemistry I Laboratory
- CHM 2046 General Chemistry II
- CHM 2046L General Chemistry II Laboratory
- CHM 2210 Organic Chemistry I
- CHM 2210L Organic Chemistry I Laboratory
- CHM 2211 Organic Chemistry II
- CHM 2211L Organic Chemistry II Laboratory
- MAC 2241 Life Sciences Calculus I and MAC 2242 Life Sciences Calculus II
- MAC 2281 Engineering Calculus I and MAC 2281 Engineering Calculus II
- MAC 2311 Calculus I and MAC 2312 Calculus II
- STA 2023 Introductory Statistics I may be substituted for any Calculus II
Additional Major Requirements
All students majoring in one of the programs offered through the departments of Integrative or Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology and entering USF for the first time, in Fall 2009 or later, who subsequently earn three (3) D and/or F grades in USF coursework for their major and/or supporting coursework will be required to change to majors more appropriate to their goals and academic performances. Those majors may not include any conferred by the Department of Chemistry, Department of Integrative Biology or Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology.
All continuing USF students who entered USF prior to Fall 2009 and who have not earned any D or F grades in USF major coursework or supporting coursework by the beginning of Fall 2009, will also be allowed three(3) D and/or F grades in subsequent terms before being required to choose another major more appropriate to their goals and academic performances, and not including any conferred by the Department of Chemistry, Department of Integrative Biology or Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology.
Any continuing USF students who enter USF prior to Fall 2009 and who have earned greater than or equal to one (1) D or F grade in USF coursework for their major coursework or supporting coursework by the beginning of Fall 2009, will be allowed only two (2) more D and/or F grades in subsequent semesters before being required to choose other majors more appropriate to their goals and academic performances, and not including any majors conferred by the Department of Chemistry, Department of Integrative Biology or Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology.
Grade Forgiveness will NOT apply to the mandated requirement of changing major.
A minimum of 6 credit hours at the 4000-level should be taken.
A maximum of 6 credit hours may be taken outside of the department with prior approval.
Major Course Grade RequirementPlease note that some supporting science courses may require a grade of C or better in order to meet the prerequisite requirements for course sequences.
Major Grade RequirementA student must receive a C- grade or better in all Department of Integrative Biology and Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology, and Molecular Biology courses and supporting courses in the natural sciences, except if they are used as free elective courses. This specification applies to both USF and transfer courses.
Major Residency Requirement
A minimum of 20 credits hours of courses must be taken in residency and be applicable to the major.
Once a student has matriculated to USF Tampa, he/she is expected to take 100 percent of the required major coursework at USF Tampa.
A maximum of 4 credit hours of Undergraduate Research (BSC 4910) may be applied.
More About this Major
There are research opportunities associated with this major.Hide
There are additional requirements for this major such as grade, GPA, foreign language, and/or general education requirements.Hide
There is more information available for this major such as faculty, advising, and/or accreditation information.Show Me More