Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
Management Information Systems (ISM)
Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science (B.A. or B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 52.1201
College of Business
The Management Information Systems major provides the skills and knowledge necessary for information systems development and support positions in both business and non-business organizations.
College Level Requirements
Limited Access - This major has additional admissions requirements as listed in this section.
Admission to the College of Business is based upon availability of faculty and space within each discipline. The College is an upper-level, limited access college, which means that it has admission requirements in addition to those of the University in general. Students interested in pursuing a degree in the areas offered by the College of Business must complete the required prerequisites for entering the College in addition to other related criteria listed below.
Students must satisfy the following criteria:
- Minimum of 60 semester hours of college credit earned.
- Minimum of a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on all college-level work and a minimum of 2.0 on all credit attempted at USF, including any prior to renewal. NOTE: Beginning Fall 2013 the College of Business will establish each fall a new minimum overall GPA required to satisfy the limited access GPA admission requirement. The minimum overall GPA will range between a 2.5 with a maximum required GPA of a 2.75. Students will be notified each fall as to the minimum entrance GPA required for the following fall semester. Notification will occur through Canvas and updated at the following link: http://business.usf.edu/programs/undergraduate/admission.asp.
- In computing entry grade point average, all business and economics courses taken for S or U grades will be converted to C or F, respectively.
- A minimum score of 550 on paper and pencil or 213 on computerized TOEFL is required, when applicable.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Transfer credits will be accepted from accredited institutions; however, all hours earned may not be applied toward USF business degree requirements. Individual courses will be evaluated by an academic advisor and appropriately credited toward requirements in the student's program at USF.
Florida public junior/community college students enrolled in an Associate of Arts (AA) program should normally complete the general education requirements and the State Mandated Common Prerequisites at a Florida College System institution. As a rule, AA students should avoid taking any business courses at the junior/community college that are listed as 3000- and 4000-level courses at USF. Normally, courses in finance, marketing, management, and accounting, as well as other business administration and economics courses, taken at the lower division level that are offered as upper division courses at USF will not be accepted for upper division credit in business administration or economics. In general, business courses taken at the lower level, at technical schools, or as part of professional or military training, are not applicable to the degree programs of the College of Business. Exceptions to this policy will be made only upon proper validation of such courses. Validation consists of successfully completing specified advanced courses in the discipline.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (AS) program in Business Administration are fully admissible to USF. Please see a business advisor to determine the articulation courses, discuss admission to the College of Business and prepare a program plan for degree completion. Students transferring to the College of Business with an A.S. in Business Administration may earn a major in General Business Administration only.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (AS) program in any other discipline should contact the Director of the BSAS program in the Office of Undergraduate Studies, SVC 2003, (813) 974-4051, for information regarding course transferability and degree articulation.
Completion of the following State Mandated Common
Prerequisites (or equivalents) with a grade of C- or higher in each course and an overall 2.0 GPA:
- * ACG X021/ACG X022 Financial Accounting (or ACG X001 & ACG X011)
- * ACG X071 Managerial Accounting (or X301)
- CGS X1001 Computers in Business (or acceptable Substitute, i.e., CGS X100C, CGS X530, CGS X570, CGS X531, CGS X0000, MAN X812)
- ECO X013 Principles of Macroeconomics
- ECO X023 Principles of Microeconomics
- MAC X233 Elementary Calculus or MAC 2230
- STA X023 Introductory Statistics or QMB X100 or STAX122 although STA X023 and QMB X100 are preferred).
* accounting majors must earn a C not C- in ACG 2021 & 2071
1or demonstrated competency.
Total Major Hours: 27 Hours
Major CoreWithin the 120-semester-hour program listed in the Business General Requirement section (including the state mandated common prerequisites), students must complete a set of 6 required MIS courses and 3 approved MIS electives.
Major Core Courses - 18 Hours
- ISM 3232 Business Application Development*
- ISM 3113 Systems Analysis and Design*
- ISM 3431 Operations and Supply Chain Processes
- ISM 4212 Database Administration
- ISM 4220 Business Data Communications
- ISM 4300 Managing Information Resources
Major Elective Courses - 9 HoursPlus Approved MIS Electives**
**No more than three hours of ISM 4950 can be counted as MIS electives. (ISM 4905 will not count as an MIS elective.)
Additional Major Information
Chairperson: K. Chari; Professors: A. Bhattacherjee, J.E. Blanton, K. Chari, T.G. Gill, A.R. Hevner (Citigroup/Hidden River Endowed Chair), W. Jank (Anderson Professor of Global Management); Associate Professors: M. Agrawal, D.J. Berndt, R.W. Collins, J. Jones, B. Padmanabhan (Anderson Professor of Global Management), T.L. Sincich, R.P. Will; Instructors: M. Dummeldinger, R. Satterfield, B. Warner, W.W. Whitlock.
More About this Major
This major has an accelerated track that confers an undergraduate and graduate degree upon completion.Show Me More
There are research opportunities associated with this major.Show Me More
There are additional requirements for this major such as grade, GPA, foreign language, and/or general education requirements.Show Me More
There is more information available for this major such as faculty, advising, and/or accreditation information.Hide