Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
+ More About this Major
Interdisciplinary Natural Sciences (INS)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 30.0101 (Track 16 of 16)
College of Arts & Sciences
The Interdisciplinary Natural Science degree serves the academic and career goals of undergraduate students who seek a broad education in the Natural Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Geology). Students select a sequence of upper-level courses based on career goals, choosing three of the five natural science areas. Students interested in secondary education, public health, and other fields may choose this degree.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete the A.A. degree at the community college. Some courses required for the major may also meet FKL Liberal Arts Requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university. If students transfer with fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the students must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
There are no State Mandated Common Prerequisites for this degree program.
Students are encouraged to complete as many of the following courses as possible, during the program of study at the community college, and when feasible in FKL Liberal Arts/Gordon Rule courses. Unless stated otherwise, a grade of "C" is the minimum acceptable grade.
- Biology I and Biology II (BSC 2010, 2010L, BSC 2011, 2011L)
- Calculus (MAC 2241 and MAC 2242 or MAC 2311 and MAC 2312 or MAC 2281 and MAC 2282)
- General Chemistry (CHM 2045, CHM 2045L, CHM 2046, CHM 2046L)
- General Physics (PHY 2053, PHY 2053L, PHY 2054, PHY 2054L) or (PHY 2048, PHY 2048L, PHY 2049, PHY 2049L)
- Introduction to Physical Geology and History of the Earth and Life (GLY 2010, GLY 2000L, GLY 2100, GLY 2100L)
Total Major Hours: 62-64 Hours
Major Core Courses - 38-40 HoursTier 1
Two introductory courses in each of 5 natural sciences areas (Math, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geology) totaling 38-40 hours:
- Calculus I and II: MAC 2241 and 2242 or MAC 2311 and 2312 or MAC 2281 and 2282
- (STA 2023 may be substituted for Calculus II)
- Biology I and II: BSC 2010, 2010L and BSC 2011, 2011L
- General Chemistry I and II: CHM 2045, 2045L and CHM 2046, 2046L
- Geology I and II: GLY 2010, 2000L and GLY 2100, 2100L
- Physics I and II: (PHY 2053, 2053L, 2054, 2054L) or (PHY 2048, 2048L, 2049, 2049L)
Major Elective Courses - 24 Hours
Students are required to complete a minimum total of 24 credit hours. A minimum of 6 credit hours of structured, upper division (3000 level or higher) courses in three of the five natural sciences areas is required. All Tier 2 courses in the sciences will be selected by the individual student, but must be chosen from the list of courses approved for department Major credit.
Additional Major Requirements
Major Grade Requirement
A grade of C or better is required for all sciences and mathematics requirements listed, and those specific to USF.
Major Residency Requirement
At least 12 of the 24 hours at Tier 2 must be taken at USF for residency.
Twelve hours of upper-level major applicable courses must be completed at USF for the Interdisciplinary Natural Sciences degree.