Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
+ More About this Major
Interdisciplinary Classical Civilizations (ICC)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 16.1200
College of Arts & Sciences
Interdisciplinary Classical Civilizations is a broad-based area study encompassing the literature, history, linguistics, art and archaeology, philosophy, and religion of Greece, Rome and the Near East from pre-history to late antiquity. For centuries, the study of these vibrant societies has been recognized as essential to a proper understanding of our own culture and, recently, there has been a renewed recognition of the skills such study develops.
All students wishing to enroll in the ICC major must schedule an appointment with the Coordinator of Interdisciplinary Classical Civilizations in order to develop a program of study. Students will be urged to fulfill their General Education and University Exit Requirements, whenever possible, from courses taught within the Classical Civilizations Program. Courses that are applied toward the Gen. Ed. or "Core" Requirements cannot be utilized more than once.
The ICC Major can be fulfilled in one of two ways:
- The ICC Major (33 hours minimum) is intended for students who wish to become familiar with aspects of the Classical Heritage of Western Civilization.
- The ICC Major with Honors (39 hours minimum) is intended for students who wish to continue their studies beyond the undergraduate level and includes a thesis (3 hours). The student must also maintain a 3.50 GPA within the major and a 3.30 overall GPA.
College Level Requirements
Total Major Hours: 33-34 Hours
Major Core Courses - 33-34 Hours
- 12 hours from the ICC "Core":
- CLA 3103 Greek Civilization or CLT 3101 Greek Literature in Translation
- CLA 3123 Roman Civilization or CLT 3102 Roman Literature in Translation
- HIS 3930 Special Topics or REL 3280 Biblical Archaeology
- CLT 3370 Classical Mythology
- 18 hours (minimum) from the ICC "Fields":
- Two (2) courses from an approved list of 2000- to 3000-level courses in Anthropology, Classics, History, Philosophy or Religious Studies.
- Four (4) courses from an approved list of 3000- to 4000-level courses in Anthropology, Classics, History, Philosophy or Religious Studies.
- Three to four hours from an approved list of 4000-level Exit Requirement courses in Anthropology, Classics, History, Philosophy or Religious Studies.
Optional Honors Program
ICC Major with Honors
Requirements of the ICC Major with Honors (39 hours minimum):
- 12 hours from the ICC "Core": CLA 3103 Greek Civilization or CLT 3101 Greek Literature in Translation
- 12 hours beyond the B.A. FLEX Language Requirement in either Greek or Latin: Competence in one or two ancient languages. Courses must be taken with the approval of the Coordinator.
- 12-16 hours (4 courses) from the Major Field Requirements: Major Fields are currently defined in Ancient History, Philosophy and Religious Studies. The student will select four courses in the Major Field area with the approval of the Coordinator. The student must take at least one exit-level course in the Major Field he/she chooses.
- 3 hours of Faculty Mentored Research: The student will complete a research project under the direction of a faculty committee composed of a faculty mentor and at least two additional faculty members. The project is intended to produce a substantial research paper that can serve as a writing sample when the student applies for advanced graduate study.
- Maintenance of a 3.50 GPA within the major and a 3.30 overall GPA.
CLA 3123 Roman Civilization or CLT 3102 Roman Literature in Translation
HIS 3930 Special Topics or REL 3280 Biblical Archaeology
CLT 3370 Classical Mythology (3)