Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
French (FRE) with a concentration in International Studies and Business (IFB)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 16.0901
College of Arts & Sciences
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete the A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education Requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university. If students transfer without an A.A. degree and have fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the students must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
To complete a major in French, students should demonstrate proficiency at the intermediate level within the target language. This may be accomplished by completing 6-12 hours within the language or by demonstrated competency at the intermediate level. If this coursework (or associated competency) is not completed at a Florida College System institution, it must be completed before the degree is granted. A grade of “C” is the minimum acceptable grade.
Total Major Hours: 33 Hours
Major Core Courses - 15 Hours
- FRE 2240 Conversation II
- FRE 3420 Composition I
- FRE 3234 Reading in French Literature and Culture
- FRW 4100 The French Novel
- FRW 4101 Introduction to French Drama and Poetry
Major Elective Courses - 18 Hours
Students should take 18 hours in 3000-, 4000-, or 5000-level courses planned with an advisor.
Concentration Core Courses - 48 Hours
- Supporting courses in French required for the major (9 credit hours):
- FRE 4421 Composition II
- FRE 4700 French Linguistics
- FRE 4930 Selected Topics
- FRE 5425 Advanced Written Expression
- FRE 5566 Contemporary France
- Required courses in International Studies (9 credit hours):
- CPO 2002 Introduction to Comparative Politics
- CPO 4930 Comparative Government & Politics of Select Areas
- EUS 3000 Europe
- Required courses in Business (18 credit hours):
- ACG 3074 Managerial Accounting for Non-Business Majors
- ECO 1000 Basic Economics
- FIN 3403 Principles of Finance
- MAN 3025 Principles of Management
- MAR 3023 Basic Marketing
- XXX XXXX Capstone Course
- Supporting courses in Business (6 credit hours):
- Choose any two (2) upper-level International Business courses.
- Required overseas study courses and/or area studies courses (6 credit hours):
- Select six (6) overseas study credit hours or three (3) credit hours overseas study plus three (3) credit hours area studies courses planned with an advisor.
All undergraduate students in any degree program can participate in undergraduate research. There are a number of options to receive academic credit for a mentored research experience and to have the experience show on the official transcript. Students who wish to enroll in an undergraduate research course should consult with their academic advisor to understand how the credit will apply towards the degree requirements. If no credit is needed, students may be eligible to enroll in the 0-credit IDS 2912 or IDS 4914 courses. These courses will not impact degree credits or GPA but will show on an official transcript and document the experience. The Office for Undergraduate Research will assist students in understanding the various course options.