Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
+ More About this Major
Foreign Language Education with ESOL Endorsement (FLE) with a concentration in Spanish (BFS)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 13.1306
College of Education
Major DescriptionForeign Language Education explores educational foundations and methods to prepare educators in K-12 schools. It also explores the theory and practice of teaching foreign languages. The program objective is to prepare reflective and caring educators for a career in teaching world languages at the K-12 level.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course PrerequisitesThese prerequisites must be met by transfer students as well as USF students. A grade of "C-" is the minimum acceptable grade.
- EDF X005 Introduction to the Teaching Profession (3)
- EDF X085 * Teaching Diversity for Educators (3)
- EME X040 Introduction to Technology for Educators (3)
- Other program prerequisites: **
- XXX XXXX (8) – Eight credits in the same foreign language at the intermediate level
- XXX XXXX (3) – Three credits in the same language of study with a cultural emphasis
*In addition to EDF X085, a minimum of 6 semester hours with an international or diversity focus is required. Eligible courses will be determined by the Florida College System institution or university where the student is currently earning the Associate in Arts or baccalaureate degree. Foreign language courses may be used to meet this requirement.
**Courses specified in this category may apply to Foundations of Knowledge and Learning Core Curriculum coursework.
Total Major Hours: 72 HoursProfessional Education:
- EDF 3214 Human Development and Learning
- EDF 3604 Schools and Society (WRIN)
- EDF 4430 Measurement for Teachers
- EEX 4070 Integrating Exceptional Students in the Regular Classroom
- ESE 4322 Classroom Management
- FLE 4316 Language Principles and Acquisition
- FLE 4317 Teaching LEP Students K-12
- TSL 4081 ESOL 2 Literacy Development in English Language Learners
- FLE 4936 Senior Seminar in Foreign Language Education
- FLE 4940 Internship: Foreign Language Education
Concentration Core Courses - 72 HoursTeaching Specialization in Spanish:
- Foreign language
- Conversation and Composition
- Culture and Civilization
12 credit hours in methods of teaching a language at the elementary and secondary levels, including a practicum.
- Fall Term:
- FLE 4314 Methods of Teaching Foreign Languages and ESOL in the
- Spring Term:
- FLE 4333 Methods of Teaching Foreign Languages and ESOL in the
- FLE 4370 Practicum in Foreign Language Teaching in the Secondary School
- Summer Term:
- FLE 4290 Technology in the Foreign and Second Language Classroom