Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
+ More About this Major
Foreign Language Education with ESOL Endorsement (FLE) with a concentration in Russian (BFR)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 13.1306
College of Education
Major DescriptionForeign Language Education explores educational foundations and methods to prepare educators in K-12 schools. It also explores the theory and practice of teaching foreign languages. The program objective is to prepare reflective and caring educators for a career in teaching world languages at the K-12 level.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course PrerequisitesThese prerequisites must be met by transfer students as well as USF students. A grade of "C-" is the minimum acceptable grade.
- EDF X005 Introduction to the Teaching Profession (3)
- EDF X085 * Teaching Diversity for Educators (3)
- EME X040 Introduction to Technology for Educators (3)
- Other program prerequisites: **
- XXX XXXX (8) – Eight credits in the same foreign language at the intermediate level
- XXX XXXX (3) – Three credits in the same language of study with a cultural emphasis
*In addition to EDF X085, a minimum of 6 semester hours with an international or diversity focus is required. Eligible courses will be determined by the Florida College System institution or university where the student is currently earning the Associate in Arts or baccalaureate degree. Foreign language courses may be used to meet this requirement.
**Courses specified in this category may apply to Foundations of Knowledge and Learning Core Curriculum coursework.
Total Major Hours: 72 HoursProfessional Education:
- EDF 3214 Human Development and Learning
- EDF 3604 Schools and Society (WRIN)
- EDF 4430 Measurement for Teachers
- EEX 4070 Integrating Exceptional Students in the Regular Classroom
- ESE 4322 Classroom Management
- FLE 4316 Language Principles and Acquisition
- FLE 4317 Teaching LEP Students K-12
- TSL 4081 ESOL 2 Literacy Development in English Language Learners
- FLE 4936 Senior Seminar in Foreign Language Education
- FLE 4940 Internship: Foreign Language Education
Concentration Core Courses - 72 HoursTeaching Specialization in Russian:
- Foreign language
- Conversation and Composition
- Culture and Civilization
12 credit hours in methods of teaching a language at the elementary and secondary levels, including a practicum.
- Fall Term:
- FLE 4314 Methods of Teaching Foreign Languages and ESOL in the
- Spring Term:
- FLE 4333 Methods of Teaching Foreign Languages and ESOL in the
- FLE 4370 Practicum in Foreign Language Teaching in the Secondary School
- Summer Term:
- FLE 4290 Technology in the Foreign and Second Language Classroom
Additional Major Requirements
In addition to the courses listed, students must complete "Preliminary Requirements for Students entering Teacher Education Programs." A minimum of 30 credit hours beyond intermediate course requirements must be earned in the foreign language. Programs are available for Spanish (BFS), French (BFF), Italian (BFI), German (BFG) and Russian (BFR).
The College of Education offers a full ESOL Endorsement for all Foreign Language Education major graduates. The special requirements for ESOL endorsement through infusion are as follows:
- Successful completion of FLE 4317 and FLE 4316 with a minimum grade of 70 percent or better on part one and part two of the ESOL Comprehensive Exam administered in the two ESOL courses;
- Successful completion of a 20-hour early ESOL field experience in FLE 4317;
- Successful completion of a late ESOL field experience where students plan, implement, and evaluate lessons for one or more ESOL students over 10 days; and
- Successful completion of an ESOL binder, containing all ESOL-related assignments taken in the College of Education and an ESOL-performance Standards Checklist that documents the completion of the necessary number of standards. FLE students must also take TSL 4081 ESOL 2, Literacy Development in English Language Learners which is not part of the ESOL requirement for the FLE program, but does meet the reading requirement.