Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
+ More About this Major
English (ENG) with a concentration in Creative Writing (CRW)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 23.0101
College of Arts & Sciences
Major DescriptionA bachelor’s degree in English prepares students for any field that values critical thinking, high reading comprehension, clear and effective writing, and the ability to interpret and analyze data.
This 36-hour concentration is designed for aspiring writers of fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction. Students who graduate from this program will demonstrate the following: 1) knowledge of the forms and techniques of poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction; 2) knowledge of literary genres and the techniques used by authors within each genre; 3) the ability to analyze literature in its cultural and philosophical context; and 4) the ability to critique student manuscripts and offer constructive feedback within a workshop setting.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree from a Florida state or community college. Some courses required for the major may also meet general education requirements, thereby transferring maximum hours to the university. If students transfer without an A.A. degree and have fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the students must meet the university's entering freshman requirements, including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA and course requirements.
Transfer students should complete the following prerequisite courses listed below at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted. Unless stated otherwise, a grade of “C” is the minimum acceptable grade.
Total Major Hours: 36 Hours
Concentration Core Courses - 36 Hours
- Writing Requirements: Six courses as follows:
- CRW 3111 Form and Technique of Fiction
- CRW 3311 Form and Technique of Poetry
- CRW 3112 Fiction I
- CRW 3121 Fiction II
- CRW 3312 Poetry I
- CRW 3321 Poetry II
- CRW 4930 Selected Topics in Creative Writing
- CRW 4930 may be repeated twice, with different content, for a total of six (6) credits hours. Choices would include creative nonfiction, screenwriting, craft courses in fiction\poetry, young adult literature, lyric poetry, etc.).
- One of the following courses that concentrates on literature written pre-1900:
- AML 3031 American Literature from the Beginning to 1860
- AML 3032 American Literature from 1860to 1912
- AML 4111 Nineteenth-Century American Novel
- ENG 4060 History of the English Language
- ENL 3015 British Literature to 1616
- ENL 3016 Studies in 17th and 18th Century British Literature
- ENL 3017 Studies in 19th Century British Literature
- ENL 3230 British Literature 1616-1780
- ENL 3251 British Literature 1780-1900
- ENL 3331 Early Shakespeare
- ENL 3332 Late Shakespeare
- ENL 4122 19th Century British Novel
- ENL 4311 Chaucer
- ENL 4338 Advanced Studies in Shakespeare
- ENL 4341 Milton
- LIT 3031 Survey of Poetry
- LIT 3101 Literature of the Western World Through the Renaissance
- Five (5) additional major literature courses from those listed in the Literary Studies concentration
Additional Major Requirements
The program in English provides three concentrations. Students must choose one concentration.
Students may not use more than one directed study course toward meeting the major requirements.
Major GPA RequirementA 2.5 GPA in the major is required for graduation.
Major Grade RequirementA grade of below C- will not be counted toward fulfilling the major requirements.
Major Residency Requirement
Transfer students must earn at least 15 hours in the major at USF.