Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
+ More About this Major
Environmental Microbiology (EMB)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 26.0101 (Track 1 of 2)
College of Arts & Sciences
Major DescriptionStudents specialize in the study of the roles that microorganisms play in the environment. Coursework focuses on the diversity of microorganisms and their functioning within natural systems. Coursework within the Environmental Microbiology major can lead to ASM certification.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course PrerequisitesStudents should complete the following prerequisite courses listed below at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at the community college, they must be completed before the degree is granted. Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C- is the minimum acceptable grade.
- BSC X010/X010L Biology I with Lab or BSC X010C or BSC X040/040L
- BSC X011/X011L Biology II with Lab or BSC X2011C or BSC X041/X041L or ZOO X0101/0101L or BOT X010/X010L or BOT X013/X013L
- CHM X045/X045L General Chemistry I with Lab or CHM X045C or CHM X040 and CHM X041
- CHM X046/X046L General Chemistry II with Lab or CHM X046C
- CHM X210/X210L Organic Chemistry I with Lab and CHM X211/X211L or (CHM X210C and X211C) or (PHY X053/X053L and PHY X054/X054L) or (PHY X048/X048L and PHY X049/X049L)
- MAC X311 Calculus I or MAC X233 or MAC X253 or MAC X281 or MAC X241
- MAC X312 Calculus II or MAC X282 or MAC X234 or STA X023 or STA X024 or STA X321
Total Major Hours: 67-72 Hours
Major Core Courses - 60-63 HoursBiology Core: (16 hours)
- BSC 2010 Biology I Cellular Processes
- BSC 2010L Biology I Cellular Processes Laboratory
- BSC 2011 Biology II Diversity
- BSC 2011L Biology II Diversity Laboratory
- PCB 3043 Principles of Ecology
- PCB 3043L Principles of Ecology Laboratory
- PCB 3063 General Genetics
- PCB 3063L General Genetics Laboratory
- MCB 3020C General Microbiology
- MCB 4404 Microbial Physiology and Genetics
- MCB 4404L Microbial Physiology and Genetics Laboratory
- BSC 4933 Microbiology of Waterborne Diseases
- BSC 5444 Genomics
- MCB 4202 Ecology of Infectious Diseases
- MCB 5655 Applied and Environmental Microbiology
- ZOO 4233 Parasitology
- CHM 2045 General Chemistry I
- CHM 2045L General Chemistry I Laboratory
- CHM 2046 General Chemistry II
- CHM 2046L General Chemistry II Laboratory
- CHM 2210 Organic Chemistry I
- CHM 2210L Organic Chemistry I Laboratory
- CHM 2211 Organic Chemistry II
- CHM 2211L Organic Chemistry II Laboratory
- MAC 2241 Life Sciences Calculus I and MAC 2242 Life Sciences Calculus II
- MAC 2281 Engineering Calculus I and MAC 2281 Engineering Calculus II
- MAC 2311 Calculus I and MAC 2312 Calculus II
- STA 2023 Introductory Statistics I may be substituted for any Calculus II
- PHY 2048/2048L General Physics II and PHY 2094/2049L General Physics II
- PHY 2053/2053L General Physics II and PHY 2054/2054L General Physics II
Major Elective Courses - 7-9 HoursElective Courses (minimum 7-9 hours):
- Integrative Biology or Cell, Molecular and Microbiology courses, with the exception of those intended for non-majors.
Additional Major Requirements
All students majoring in one of the programs offered through the departments of Integrative or Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology and entering USF for the first time, in Fall 2009 or later, who subsequently earn three (3) D and/or F grades in USF coursework for their major and/or supporting coursework will be required to change to majors more appropriate to their goals and academic performances. Those majors may not include any conferred by the Department of Chemistry, Department of Integrative Biology or Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology.
All continuing USF students who entered USF prior to Fall 2009 and who have not earned any D or F grades in USF major coursework or supporting coursework by the beginning of Fall 2009, will also be allowed three(3) D and/or F grades in subsequent terms before being required to choose another major more appropriate to their goals and academic performances, and not including any conferred by the Department of Chemistry, Department of Integrative Biology or Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology.
Any continuing USF students who enter USF prior to Fall 2009 and who have earned greater than or equal to one (1) D or F grade in USF coursework for their major coursework or supporting coursework by the beginning of Fall 2009, will be allowed only two (2) more D and/or F grades in subsequent semesters before being required to choose other majors more appropriate to their goals and academic performances, and not including any majors conferred by the Department of Chemistry, Department of Integrative Biology or Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology.
Grade Forgiveness will NOT apply to the mandated requirement of changing major.
Major GPA RequirementMust maintain a 2.0 GPA in all major coursework.
Major Grade RequirementA student must receive a C- grade or better in all Department of Integrative Biology and Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology, and Molecular Biology courses and supporting courses in the natural sciences and mathematics, except if they are used as free elective courses. This specification applies to both USF and transfer courses.
Major Residency Requirement
A minimum of 20 credit hours of courses must be taken in residency and be applicable to the major.
Once a student has matriculated to USF Tampa, he/she is expected to take 100 percent of the required major coursework at USF Tampa.