Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
+ More About this Major
Electrical Engineering (EEL)
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (B.S.E.E.)8 Semester Plan
128 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 14.1001
College of Engineering
The Electrical Engineering program offers study in all areas fundamental to Electrical Engineering and the electrical sciences: circuit analysis and design, electronics, communications, electromagnetics, controls, solid state, system analysis, and microelectromechanical systems (MEMS), bioelectrical devices and systems, and power engineering. Basic concepts are augmented with well-equipped laboratories in circuits, electronics, digital systems, microwave techniques, wireless circuits & systems, and controls and communications. In addition, a general-purpose computer facility, a microprocessor and digital signal processing laboratory, and a microelectronics fabrication, design/test and metrology laboratory are available.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university's entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses listed below at the lower level prior to entering the University. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Students qualify for direct entry to the department if they have completed the following courses at a Florida College System institution or University in the Florida State University System (SUS) and meet all other admissions requirements of the University and College.
Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education Requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
|Courses at USF||Courses at a Florida College System Institution|
|MAC 2281 Engineering Calculus I||MAC X311 or MAC X281|
|MAC 2282 Engineering Calculus II||MAC X312 or MAC X282|
|MAC 2283 Engineering Calculus III||MAC X313 or MAC X283|
|MAP 2302 Differential Equations||MAP X302 or MAP X305|
|Courses at USF||Courses at a Florida College System Institution|
|CHM 045/CHM 2045L General Chemistry I with Lab||CHM X045/X045L or CHM X045C or|
|CHS 2440/2440L General Chemistry for Engineers with lab|
|PHY 2048/2048L General Physics I - Calculus Based with Lab||PHY X048/X048L or PHY X048C or PHY X043/X048L|
|PHY 2049/2049L General Physics II - Calculus Based with Lab||PHY X049/X049L or PHY X049C or PHY X044/X049L|
Total Major Hours: 113 Hours
Major Core Courses - 101 Hours
- EGN 3000 Foundations of Engineering
- EGN 3000L Foundations of Engineering Laboratory
- ENC 1101 Composition I
- MAC 2281 Engineering Calculus I
- CHM 2045 General Chemistry I
- CHM 2045L General Chemistry I Laboratory
- ENC 1102 Composition II
- MAC 2282 Engineering Calculus II
- PHY 2048 General Physics I
- PHY 2048L General Physics I Laboratory
- EGN 3443 Probability and Statistics for Engineers
- EGN 3615 Engineering Economics with Social and Global Implications
- MAC 2283 Engineering Calculus III
- PHY 2049 General Physics II
- PHY 2049L General Physics II Laboratory
- EEE 3394 Electronic Materials
- EEL 2161 EE Computer Methods
- EGN 3373 Introduction to Electrical Systems I
- EGN 3420 Engineering Analysis
- MAP 2302 Differential Equations or EGN 3433 Modeling and Analysis of Engineering Systems (Note: EGN 3433 is not a Gordon Rule course)
- EGN 3374 Electrical Systems II
- ENC 3246 Communication for Engineers
- EEE 4351C Semiconductor Devices
- EEL 3100 Network Analysis
- EEL 3115L Laboratory I
- EEL 4471 Electromagnetics
- EEL 4705 Logic Design
- EEL 4705L Logic Laboratory
- EEE 3302 Electronics I
- EEL 4102 Linear Systems Analysis
- EEL 4423L Wireless Circuits & Systems Design Laboratory
- EEL 4743L Microprocessor Laboratory
- EEL 4744 Microprocessor Principles and Applications
- EGN 3375 Electromechanical Systems
- EEL 3116L Laboratory II
- EEL 4512C Introduction to Communication Systems
- EEL 4657 Linear Control Systems
- EEL 4657L Linear Controls Laboratory
- EEL 4906 Engineering Design/Professionalism
- EEL 4914 Senior Design Project
Major Elective Courses - 12 Hours
- 12 hours of Department Upper-Level Electives
Additional Major Requirements
Required Prerequisites for Entering Engineering Programs/Majors
Students who have met the College of Engineering’s admission requirements carry a major code of ”Engineering” or “Pre-Information Technology” until they have completed the prerequisite requirements for departmental admission. (Please see below for departmental admissions requirements.) Students who have fully met the admission requirements for their intended major, and are in good academic standing, may declare a major in one of the following bachelor’s degree programs: Bachelors of Science in Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Information Technology. The College of Engineering is not accepting new students for the four year Bachelor of Science program in Information Systems at this time. Departmental admissions requirements vary by program. Students considering transferring to USF should familiarize themselves with the requirements for their intended department as early as possible.
Students admitted to the University of South Florida and the College of Engineering must qualify for the program of their choice by successfully meeting the requirements below. Unless otherwise stated, the minimum acceptable grade in math and science prerequisites is a grade of C or higher (C- is insufficient).
Prior to being admitted to a department, a student may be permitted to take no more than two departmental Engineering courses. Once admitted, individual departments may have continuation requirements which specify minimum performance standards in core engineering courses for the discipline which must be met before further registration in the department is granted.
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
- Completion of:
- (MAC 2311 or MAC 2281) and (MAC 2312 or MAC 2282) and (MAC 2313 or MAC 2283)
- PHY 2048 and PHY 2048L
- PHY 2049 and PHY 2049L
- (CHM 2045 and CHM 2045L) or (CHS 2440 and 2440L)
- A minimum grade of C in each course and a 3.0 GPA based upon the best attempt in these courses.
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.0
- A minimum USF GPA of 2.0
Major Course Grade Requirement
Major State Communication and Computation Requirement (formerly Gordon Rule)
Gordon Rule (6A) is fully met through the mathematics courses above, ENC 1101, ENC 1102, ENC 3246 and by selecting one technical or general education elective that is an approved 6A communication course or by completing an AA degree at a Florida College System institution.
Major Foundations of Knowledge and Learning (FKL) Requirement
Foundations of Learning and Knowledge Core Curriculum: The math and science courses required for this major fully meet the math and science requirements of the FKL core curriculum. Students in the College of Engineering are exempt from the "Life Science" requirement.