Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
+ More About this Major
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 45.0601
College of Arts & Sciences
Economics offers a clear and logical way of thinking about complicated issues such as unemployment, inflation, pollution, and crime. The department offers broad course choices allowing students to tailor their programs to provide training for professional careers in business, teaching, government, and law. Students interested in majoring or minoring in economics should contact the undergraduate advisor in the Economics Department for more information.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
The State of Florida has identified common course prerequisites for the major in Economics. These courses must be completed with a minimum grade of "C" before the degree is granted. If the courses are not transferred in, they may be taken at USF.
- ECO X013 Economic Principles: Macroeconomics or ECO XXXX 3 credit hours
- ECO X023 Economic Principles: Microeconomics or ECO XXXX 3 credit hours
Total Major Hours: 34 Hours
A student may earn a Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Economics by satisfactorily completing 34 credits in Economics in addition to college requirements.
Major Core Courses - 19 Hours
- ECO 2013 Economic Principles: Macroeconomics
- ECO 2023 Economic Principles: Microeconomics
- ECO 3101 Intermediate Price Theory
- ECO 3203 Intermediate Macroeconomics
- QMB 2100 Business and Economic Statistics
- QMB 3200 Business and Economics Statistics II
- ECO 4935 Special Topics in Economics: Exit Requirement in Economics (one credit hours)
Major Elective Courses - 15 HoursFifteen credit hours of Economics electives numbered 3000 or higher.
NOTE: ECO 1000 (if taken before both ECO 2013 and ECO 2023) if student receives a C- or better may be substituted for a maximum of 3 hours of upper level elective credit.