Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
+ More About this Major
Mathematics Education (BMA)
Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science (B.A. or B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 13.1311 (Track 1 of 2)
College of Education
Major DescriptionMathematics Education explores educational foundations and methods to prepare educators in middle and secondary schools. It also explores the theory and practice of teaching mathematics education. The objective is to prepare reflective and caring educators. Prepares students for a career in middle and high schools.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course PrerequisitesThese prerequisites must be met by transfer students as well as USF students. A grade of "C-" is the minimum acceptable grade.
- EDF X005 Introduction to the Teaching Profession
- EDF X085* Teaching Diversity for Educators
- EME X040 Introduction to Technology for Educators
- MAC X311 Calculus I
- MAC X312 Calculus II
- MAC XXXX or MTG XXXX or MAS XXXX Mathematics Electives
*In addition to EDF X085, a minimum of 6 semester hours with an international or diversity focus is required. Eligible courses will be determined by the community college or university where the student is currently earning the Associate in Arts or baccalaureate degree. Foreign language courses may be used to meet this requirement.
** Courses specified in this category may apply to the USF Foundations of Knowledge and Learning (FKL) Core Curriculum coursework.
Total Major Hours: 72 Hours
Major Core Courses - 72 HoursProfessional Education:
- EDF 3214 Human Development and Learning
- EDF 3604 Schools and Society (WRIN)
- EDF 4430 Measurement for Teachers
- EEX 4070 Integrating Exceptional Students in the Regular Classroom
- TSL 4324 ESOL Competencies and Strategies
- MAE 4940 Internship: Mathematics Education
- MAE 4936 Senior Seminar in Mathematics Education
- ESE 4322 Classroom Management
- MAC 2313 Calculus III
- MAD 3100 Discrete Mathematics
- MAS 3105 Linear Algebra or MAS 4301 Elementary Abstract Algebra
- MAS 4214 Elementary Number Theory
- MGF 3301 Bridge to Abstract Mathematics
- MHF 4403 Early History of Math (Exit)
- MTG 3212 Geometry or MTG 4214 Modern Geometry
- STA 2023 Intro Statistics I
Additional Major Information
Chairperson: S.J. Thornton; Professors: A. Barron, M. Berson, B.C. Cruz, J.A. Duplass, A.P. Feldman, J.H. Johnston, J.F. Kaywell, C. Kennedy, G. Kersaint, B.S. Spector, D.R. Thompson, D. Zeidler; Emeritus Professors: J.H. Applegate, D.J. Puglisi, H.E. Steiner; Associate Professors: P.L. Jones, D. Kim, J. Liontas, Y. Lou, G. Smith; Emeritus Associate Professors: J. Golub J.A. White; Assistant Professors: S. Colomer, C. Ellerbrock, S. Eskelson, B. Herman, S.Park, V. Pitts-Bannister, R. Sears, E. Vomvoridi-Ivanovic; Instructors: P.C. Smith, T.Walseth; Visiting Assistant Professor: L. Rodeslier; Visiting Instructor: A. China.