Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
+ More About this Major
General Studies (BGS) with a concentration in Leadership Studies (GSL)
Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 24.0106
Major DescriptionUSF's Bachelor of General Studies Degree (BGS) is a customized, interdisciplinary degree completion that provides students with options to choose an appropriate academic program that fits their educational and professional goals. The BGS program will provide mid-career adult students with the opportunity to integrate completion of the baccalaureate degree into their established lifestyle.
BGS students will take an active role in creating their academic programs. Rather than choosing a traditional major, BGS students can choose from a number of established plans of study or can create their own individualized plan of study. BGS students complete 24-27 credits (core courses and electives) within a selected concentration in addition to their other degree requirements.
The Leadership Studies program is interdisciplinary in nature and is a significant benefit to students in all areas of study. Courses are designed to give students a practical and theoretical grasp of leadership on the basic assumption that leadership can be learned and, therefore, taught. The program has a unique approach to leadership that combines practical theories and opportunities for students to study the characteristics of authority, leadership, social and role dynamics, political processes and the values that orient their careers.
Total Major Hours: 24 Hours
Major Core Courses - 3 Hours
College EXIT Requirement:
- IDS 4934 Senior Capstone for BSAS/BGS
- LDR 4104 Theories of Leadership
Concentration Elective Courses - 18 HoursChoose 3 credits from the following:
- LDR 3214 Leadership in the Fraternal Movement
- LDR 3280 Leadership in the Political Context
- LDR 3930 Special Topics (repeatable with different topics)
- LDR 4114 Survey of Leadership Readings
- LDR 4164 Organizational Theory/Process
- LDR 4564 Images of Leadership in the Media
Additional Major Information
Major Other Information
The following BGS Areas of Concentration are offered fully or partially online:
- Criminal Justice (fully online)
- Public Health (fully online)
- Information Studies: Health Informatics (fully online)
- Information Studies: Information Architecture (fully online)
- Information Technology (fully online)
- Environmental Policy and Management (partially online)
- Urban Studies (partially online)
- Women's and Gender Studies (partially online)
Consult advisor for availability of online course offerings.