Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
+ More About this Major
General Studies (BGS) with a concentration in Gerontology (GRY)
Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 24.0106
Major DescriptionUSF's Bachelor of General Studies Degree (BGS) is a customized, interdisciplinary degree completion that provides students with options to choose an appropriate academic program that fits their educational and professional goals. The BGS program will provide mid-career adult students with the opportunity to integrate completion of the baccalaureate degree into their established lifestyle.
BGS students will take an active role in creating their academic programs. Rather than choosing a traditional major, BGS students can choose from a number of established plans of study or can create their own individualized plan of study. BGS students complete 24-27 credits (core courses and electives) within a selected concentration in addition to their other degree requirements.
Gerontology is the study of the process of human aging in all its many aspects: physical, psychological and social. In the School of Aging Studies, particular emphasis is placed upon applied gerontology, with the goal of educating students who in their professional careers will work to sustain or improve the quality of life in older persons.
Total Major Hours: 24 Hours
Major Core Courses - 3 Hours
College EXIT Requirement:
- IDS 4934 Senior Capstone for BSAS/BGS
Concentration Core Courses - 12 HoursConcentration Requirements:
- GEY 2000 Intro to Gerontology
- GEY 3601 Physical Changes and Aging
- GEY 3625 Sociocultural Aspects of Aging
- GEY 4612 Psychology of Aging
Concentration Elective Courses - 9 Hours
- GEY 4101 Aging in Special Populations
- GEY 4102 Aging in Modern Literature and Film
- GEY 4231 Elder Abuse and Neglect
- GEY 4322 Case Management
- GEY 4360 Gerontological Counseling
- GEY 4608 Alzheimer's Disease Management
- GEY 4629 Women and Aging
- GEY 4635 Business Management in an Aging Society
- GEY 4641 Death and Dying
- GEY 4647 Ethical and Legal Issues in Aging
- GEY 4690 Senior Seminar in Gerontology
Additional Major Requirements
Upon acceptance to the BGS, students will complete the necessary coursework to reach 120 credit hours. The 120 credit hour requirement includes completing the following:
- USF General Education (GE) requirements or approved equivalents - unless GE credits were completed at another Florida institution.
- All USF exit requirements
- All foreign language requirements
- One or two disciplinary concentrations selected by the student and approved by the advisor.
- A minimum of 48 semester hours of upper-level work (courses numbered 3000 and above)
Major Residency Requirement
At least 30 hours earned at USF Tampa.