Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
+ More About this Major
General Studies (BGS) with a concentration in Public Health (GPU)
Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 24.0106
Major DescriptionUSF's Bachelor of General Studies Degree (BGS) is a customized, interdisciplinary degree completion that provides students with options to choose an appropriate academic program that fits their educational and professional goals. The BGS program will provide mid-career adult students with the opportunity to integrate completion of the baccalaureate degree into their established lifestyle.
BGS students will take an active role in creating their academic programs. Rather than choosing a traditional major, BGS students can choose from a number of established plans of study or can create their own individualized plan of study. BGS students complete 24-27 credits (core courses and electives) within a selected concentration in addition to their other degree requirements.
Upon completion of the Public Health concentration coursework, a student will be able to articulate the role of public health in disease prevention and health promotion at the local, state, national and global level, describe public health concepts and issues, discuss and analyze current public health issues, describe career paths in public health, and develop an understanding of public health that can serve as a foundation for graduate coursework in the field.
Total Major Hours: 24 Hours
Major Core Courses - 3 Hours
College EXIT Requirement:
- IDS 4934 Senior Capstone for BSAS/BGS
Concentration Core Courses - 9 HoursConcentration Requirements:
- PHC 4101 Introduction to Public Health
- PHC 4030 Introduction to Epidemiology
- HSC 4551 Survey of Human Disease
Concentration Elective Courses - 12 Hours
- HSC 3541 Human Structure and Function
- HSC 4172 Women’s Health: A Public HealthPerspective
- HSC 4211 Health, Behavior and Society
- HSC 4430 Occupational Health and Safety
- HSC 4504 Foundations of Public Health Immunology
- HSC 4537 Medical Terminology
- HSC 4579 Foundation of Maternal and Child Health
- HSC 4573 Foundations of Food Safety
- HSC 4624 Foundations of Global Health
- HSC 4630 Understanding U.S. Health Care
- HSC 4631 Critical Issues in Public Health
- HSC 4933 Special Topics in Public Health
- HUN 3272 Sports Nutrition
- HUN 3296 Nutrition and Disease
- PHC 4031 Emerging Infectious Diseases
- PHC 4069 Biostatistics in Society
- PHC 4241 Mental Health and Disasters
- PHC 4406 Pop Culture, Vices, and Epidemiology
- PHC 4542 Stress, Health and College Life
- PHC 4720 Foundation to Professional Writing in Public Health
- PHC 4931 Health Care Ethics
Additional Major Requirements
Upon acceptance to the BGS, students will complete the necessary coursework to reach 120 credit hours. The 120 credit hour requirement includes completing the following:
- USF General Education (GE) requirements or approved equivalents - unless GE credits were completed at another Florida institution.
- All USF exit requirements
- All foreign language requirements
- One or two disciplinary concentrations selected by the student and approved by the advisor.
- A minimum of 48 semester hours of upper-level work (courses numbered 3000 and above)
Major Residency Requirement
At least 30 hours earned at USF Tampa.