Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
+ More About this Major
General Studies (BGS) with a concentration in Public Administration (GPA)
Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 24.0106
Major DescriptionUSF's Bachelor of General Studies Degree (BGS) is a customized, interdisciplinary degree completion that provides students with options to choose an appropriate academic program that fits their educational and professional goals. The BGS program will provide mid-career adult students with the opportunity to integrate completion of the baccalaureate degree into their established lifestyle.
BGS students will take an active role in creating their academic programs. Rather than choosing a traditional major, BGS students can choose from a number of established plans of study or can create their own individualized plan of study. BGS students complete 24-27 credits (core courses and electives) within a selected concentration in addition to their other degree requirements.
The Public Administration concentration courses will benefit those students preparing for a career in local, state, or federal agencies of government, non-profit organizations, and special service districts and/or graduate work in public administration and related fields.
Total Major Hours: 24 Hours
Major Core Courses - 3 Hours
College EXIT Requirement:
- IDS 4934 Senior Capstone for BSAS/BGS
Concentration Core Courses - 15 HoursConcentration Requirements:
- PAD 3003 Introduction to Public Administration
- PAD 4204 Public Financial Administration
- PAD 4415 Personnel and Supervision in Today’s Organizations
- PAD 4712 Managing Information Resources in the Public Sector
- PAD 4144 Nonprofit Organizations and Public Policy
Concentration Elective Courses - 6 Hours
Additional Major Requirements
Upon acceptance to the BGS, students will complete the necessary coursework to reach 120 credit hours. The 120 credit hour requirement includes completing the following:
- USF General Education (GE) requirements or approved equivalents - unless GE credits were completed at another Florida institution.
- All USF exit requirements
- All foreign language requirements
- One or two disciplinary concentrations selected by the student and approved by the advisor.
- A minimum of 48 semester hours of upper-level work (courses numbered 3000 and above)
Major Residency Requirement
At least 30 hours earned at USF Tampa.