Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
+ More About this Major
General Studies (BGS) with a concentration in Information Technology (GIT)
Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 24.0106
Major DescriptionUSF's Bachelor of General Studies Degree (BGS) is a customized, interdisciplinary degree completion that provides students with options to choose an appropriate academic program that fits their educational and professional goals. The BGS program will provide mid-career adult students with the opportunity to integrate completion of the baccalaureate degree into their established lifestyle.
BGS students will take an active role in creating their academic programs. Rather than choosing a traditional major, BGS students can choose from a number of established plans of study or can create their own individualized plan of study. BGS students complete 24-27 credits (core courses and electives) within a selected concentration in addition to their other degree requirements.
The Information Technology concentration is designed to bridge the gap between computer science and the business use of computers. Emphasis is placed on knowledge-based computer and information technology as well as applications, programming and networking in an era of rapidly changing technology.
Total Major Hours: 24 Hours
Major Core Courses - 3 Hours
College EXIT Requirement:
- IDS 4934 Senior Capstone for BSAS/BGS
Concentration Core Courses - 10 HoursConcentration Requirements:
- CGS 3303 Information Technology Concepts
- EEL 4782 Computer Information Networks for IT
- EEL 4782L Computer Information Networks for IT Lab
- CIS 4935 Senior Project in Information Technology
Concentration Elective Courses - 11 Hours
- CDA 3101 Computer Organization for IT
- CEN 3722 Human Computer Interfaces for IT
- CEN 4031 Software Engineering Concepts for IT
- CGS 2034 Computers and Impact on Society
- CGS 2060 Intro to Computers and Programming
- CGS 2094 Cyber Ethics
- CGS 3845 Electronic Commerce
- CGS 3853 IT Web Design
- CIS 3932 Selected Topics for Information Technology
- CIS 4361 Information Technology Security Management
- CIS 4412 Information Technology Resource Management
- COP 2510 Programming Concepts
- COP 2931 Selected Topics for Information Technology
- COP 3515 Program Design for IT
- COP 3931 Selected Topics for Information Technology
- COP 4610 Operating Systems for IT
- COP 4703 Database Systems for IT
- EEL 4854 Data Structures and Algorithms for IT
- ETG 4932 Selected Topics in Technology II
Additional Major Requirements
Upon acceptance to the BGS, students will complete the necessary coursework to reach 120 credit hours. The 120 credit hour requirement includes completing the following:
- USF General Education (GE) requirements or approved equivalents - unless GE credits were completed at another Florida institution.
- All USF exit requirements
- All foreign language requirements
- One or two disciplinary concentrations selected by the student and approved by the advisor.
- A minimum of 48 semester hours of upper-level work (courses numbered 3000 and above)
Concentration RequirementsEntrance Requirement for IT concentration: Students must have prior experience and/or coursework in Information Technology, Computer Science, Networking, or a closely related field.
Major Residency Requirement
At least 30 hours earned at USF Tampa.