Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
+ More About this Major
General Studies (BGS) with a concentration in Behavioral Healthcare (GBH)
Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 24.0106
Major DescriptionUSF's Bachelor of General Studies Degree (BGS) is a customized, interdisciplinary degree completion that provides students with options to choose an appropriate academic program that fits their educational and professional goals. The BGS program will provide mid-career adult students with the opportunity to integrate completion of the baccalaureate degree into their established lifestyle.
BGS students will take an active role in creating their academic programs. Rather than choosing a traditional major, BGS students can choose from a number of established plans of study or can create their own individualized plan of study. BGS students complete 24-27 credits (core courses and electives) within a selected concentration in addition to their other degree requirements.
Behavioral health problems, including mental illness and substance abuse, are among the greatest public health challenges facing our communities. Students enrolling in the Behavioral Healthcare concentration will be exposed to treatment approaches as well as to issues related to the organization, financing, delivery, and outcomes of behavioral health services. Combining academic and experiential learning, the concentration provides students with information and practical experience in behavioral healthcare services.
Total Major Hours: 24 Hours
Major Core Courses - 3 Hours
College EXIT Requirement:
- IDS 4934 Senior Capstone for BSAS/BGS
Concentration Core Courses - 15 HoursConcentration Requirements:
- MHS 3411 Multidisciplinary Behavioral Healthcare Services
- MHS 4002 Behavioral Health Systems Delivery
- MHS 4408 Exemplary Practices in Behavioral Healthcare Treatment
- MHS 4425 Field Experience in Behavioral Healthcare
- MHS 4703 Legal, Ethical and Professional Issues in BHC
Concentration Elective Courses - 6 Hours
- CLP 4414 Behavior Modification
- MHS 4022 Adult Psychopathology in the Community
- MHS 4023 Recovery-Oriented Mental Health Services
- MHS 4203 Practical Skills: Children's Behavioral Healthcare
- MHS 4434 Behavioral Health and the Family
- MHS 4452 Co-occurring Disorders
- MHS 4463 Suicide Issues in Behavioral Health
- MHS 4490 Behavioral Healthcare Issues for Children
- MHS 4731 Writing for Research and Publication in BCS
- MHS 4741 Advanced Research Methods in Beh. and Comm. Sci.
- MHS 4931 Selected Topics
- RCS 4033 Overview of Rehab and MH Counseling Professions
Additional Major Requirements
Upon acceptance to the BGS, students will complete the necessary coursework to reach 120 credit hours. The 120 credit hour requirement includes completing the following:
- USF General Education (GE) requirements or approved equivalents - unless GE credits were completed at another Florida institution.
- All USF exit requirements
- All foreign language requirements
- One or two disciplinary concentrations selected by the student and approved by the advisor.
- A minimum of 48 semester hours of upper-level work (courses numbered 3000 and above)
Major Residency Requirement
At least 30 hours earned at USF Tampa.