Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
Applied Science (APS) with a concentration in Information Studies: Information Architecture (AIA)
Bachelor of Science in Applied Science (B.S.A.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 24.0102
Workforce projections for the 21st Century indicate that there will be an ongoing need for people with specific skills and abilities to fill Florida's growing number of specialized, scientific, industrial and technological positions. Florida's two-year colleges offer many exceptional programs that meet these demands through their Associate in Science (A.S.) degrees. Although these applied and technical degrees provide excellent preparation for students seeking jobs that require specific knowledge, skill and ability, they have not generally transferred very efficiently into four-year Bachelor's degree programs. The Bachelor of Science in Applied Science (B.S.A.S.) has been developed by USF under certain provisions of Florida legislation to remove constraints from the transfer process, recognize past course work as transferable credit to the university, and afford exciting new opportunities for A.S. degree holders to pursue and acquire a distinctive USF Bachelor's degree.
The BSAS program is a "capstone" degree offering A.S. degree holders an efficient pathway to a Bachelor's degree. It provides Florida A.S. transfer students with a broad educational experience and a unique academic area of concentration. The various concentrations allow students to somewhat tailor their degree to match their academic interests and career ambitions. To achieve this end, BSAS students will plan their program in ongoing consultation with an academic advisor who will help students design their individualized program of study.
The Information Architecture concentration provides students with the foundational technical knowledge, information design theory, and best practices supporting designing, organizing, classifying, and improving web sites and other online applications, organization intranets, social networking applications and online communities, and software for a variety of organizations. The Information Architect's career opportunities may be in information architecture, project management, design, analysis, usability testing, planning, user interaction design, universal access design, web database design, customer management, and other information related fields.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
This degree program is available ONLY to Associate in Science (A.S.) graduates from a Florida public community/junior college.
There are no State Mandated Common Prerequisites for this degree program.
Students wishing to transfer to USF must complete an A.S. degree with a minimum overall 2.0 GPA in all college-level courses accepted for transfer credit to USF, with no grade lower than C-. Students should complete at least 18 credit hours of the general education requirements as part of their A.S. degree, which should include Gordon Rule communication and computation courses to fulfill these requirements while at the community college.
The A.S. degree will transfer as a complete 60 credit hour package to USF (applicable only to the BSAS program). Technical coursework will transfer as a 42-credit hour technical block. The remaining 18 credit hours of general education coursework from the A.S. will be matched against USF requirements to determine which courses remain outstanding for fulfillment of the University's 36-credit hour General Education Requirement.
Total Major Hours: 24 Hours
Major CoreCommunity College Block Credit (Transferred from A.S.) (42)
Community College General Education (Transferred from A.S.) (18)
USF General Education (18)
USF Area of Concentration* (24)
Required Courses (21)
College Exit Requirement (3)
USF Writing Intensive Course (3)
USF Electives** (15)
Total BSAS Credit Hours (120)
*Note that all BSAS Areas of Concentration are at least 24 credit hours.
**Elective credit hours may vary slightly, but will not require students to exceed a total of 120 credit hours for completion of the BSAS degree.
Within the 60 credit hours of USF coursework beyond the A.S., BSAS students will complete:
- A minimum of 48 credit hours of upper-level (3000-4999) courses
- Foreign language requirement (can be satisfied by two years of high school foreign language credit or 8 college credit hours in a single foreign language)
Note: ASL 2140C Basic American Sign Language and ASL 2150C Intermediate American Sign Language may be substituted to meet this requirement.
Major Core Courses - 3 HoursCollege EXIT Requirement:
- IDS 4934 Senior Capstone for BSAS/BGS
Concentration Core Courses - 18 HoursConcentration Requirements:
- LIS 3261 Introduction to Information Science
- LIS 3353 IT Concepts for Information Professionals
- LIS 3783 Information Architecture
- LIS 3361 Web Page Design and Management
- LIS 3352 Interaction Design
- LIS 4365 Web Design Technologies
Concentration Elective Courses - 3 Hours
- CDA 3101 Computer Organization for Information Technology
- CEN 3722 Human Computer Interfaces for Information Technology
- CEN 4031 Software Engineering Concepts for Information Technology
- CGS 3303 IT Concepts
- CGS 3373 IT Concepts & Data Networking
- CGS 3374 Computer Architecture & Operating Systems
- CGS 3845 Electronic Commerce
- CGS 3847 Advanced E-Commerce
- CGS 3853 IT Web Design
- CGS 4855 Intermediate Web Development (jQuery)
- CIS 3360 Principles of Information Security
- CIS 3362 Cryptography and Information Security
- CIS 3367 Architecting Operating System Security
- CIS 3932 Special Topics for Information Technology
- CIS 4204 Ethical Hacking
- CIS 4253 IT Ethics
- CIS 4361 Information Technology Security Management
- CIS 4365 Computer Security Policies and Disaster Preparedness
- CIS 4368 Database Security and Audits
- CIS 4412 Information Technology Resource Management
- CIS 4510 IT Project Management
- CIS 4932 Special Topics for Information Technology
- CIS 4935 Senior Project in Information Technology
- COP 1930 Special Topics for Information Technology
- COP 2930 Special Topics for Information Technology
- COP 2931 Special Topics for Information Technology
- COP 3515 Program Design for Information Technology
- COP 3718 Intermediate Database Systems
- COP 3931 Special Topics for Information Technology
- COP 4610 Operating Systems for Information Technology
- COP 4610L Operating Systems Laboratory for Information Technology
- COP 4814 Web Services
- COP 4816 XML Applications
- COP 4834 Data-Driven Web Sites
- COP 4931 Special Topics for Information Technology
- EEL 4782 Computer Information Networks for Information Technology
- EEL 4782L Information Networks Laboratory for Information Technology
- EEL 4854 Data Structures and Algorithms for Information Technology
- ETG 3612 Operations Management
- ETG 3933 Selected Topics in Technology
- ETG 3934 Selected Topics in Technology II
- ETG 4930 Special Topics in Information Technology
- LIS XXXX Approved Information Science elective
Additional Major Requirements
Major Residency RequirementAt least 30 hours of the last 60 credit hours at USF.
More About this Major
There are research opportunities associated with this major.Show Me More
There are additional requirements for this major such as grade, GPA, foreign language, and/or general education requirements.Hide
There is more information available for this major such as faculty, advising, and/or accreditation information.Show Me More