Undergraduate Catalog 2013-14
+ More About this Major
American Studies (AMS)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 05.0102
College of Arts & Sciences
The American Studies major is designed for students who seek to understand the cultural patterns, beliefs and values that have unified and sometimes divided Americans. American Studies is an interdisciplinary program that emphasizes the diversity of American people and institutions; the importance of gender, race, ethnicity and social class; the material and technological foundations of American society; the development of distinctive regions within the United States; and creative expression in art, architecture, film, literature, music and photography
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete the A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education Requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university. If students transfer with fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the students must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
There are no State Mandated Common Prerequisites for this degree program.
Total Major Hours: 36 Hours
Major Core Courses - 30 Hours
- AMS 2030 Introduction to American Studies
- AMS 2270 Twentieth-Century American Culture
- Two 3000- or 4000-level Period courses
- One 3000- or 4000-level Regions or Regionalisms course
- (e.g. AMS 4210)
- Two 3000- or 4000-level Genre or Media courses
- HUM 3804 Introduction to Cultural Studies
- Students must pass HUM 3804 with a B- or better in order to register for AMS 4936 American Studies Pro-Seminar.
- AMS 4936 American Studies Pro-Seminar
- Students must have at least 6 credit hours of upper-level major coursework in addition to a B- in HUM 3804 in order to enroll in AMS 4936 American Studies Pro-Seminar.
- AMS 4935 Senior Seminar in American Studies
Major Elective Courses - 6 HoursSix (6) credit hours of AMS electives.
Additional Major Information
Major AdvisingDr. Christiane Rinck, HCSAdvise@usf.edu.
Chairperson: D. Belgrad; Professor: R.E. Snyder, W. Cummings; Associate Professors: D. Belgrad, A. Berish, M.Cizmic, A.Cozzi, J. D’Emilio, R. May, B. Sadler; Assistant Professors: S. Ferguson, A. Rust, Professors Emeriti: C.B. Cooper, S.L. Gaggi, G.S. Kashdin, D. Rutenberg; Instructors: S. Dykins Callahan, B. Cook, B. Goldberg, N.