Undergraduate Catalog 2017-18
+ More About this Major
General Studies (BGS) with a concentration in Environmental Policy (GEM)
Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 24.0102
USF's Bachelor of General Studies Degree (BGS) is a customized, interdisciplinary degree completion program that provides students with options to choose an appropriate academic program that fits their educational and professional goals. The BGS major provides mid-career, adult students with the opportunity to integrate completion of the baccalaureate degree into their established lifestyle.
BGS students will take an active role in creating their academic plans. Rather than choosing a traditional major, BGS students can choose from a number of established plans of study or can create their own individualized plan of study. BGS students complete 24-27 credits (core courses and electives) within a selected concentration in addition to their other degree requirements.
Students pursuing a Bachelor of General Studies degree are restricted from declaring a minor, due to USF's degree progression policy.
Students may not pursue the Bachelor of General Studies as a second major, dual degree, or second or post-baccalaureate degree. Baccalaureate degree holders who wish to pursue further education are encouraged to pursue admission into a graduate degree program of study.
This concentration is a unique interdisciplinary program that incorporates courses from various colleges across the University. Although there are courses in the concentration that are offered by Environmental Science and Policy, the concentration also offers students the opportunity to take supporting courses in other physical and natural sciences, statistics, policy, and ethics.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students desiring to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. If students transfer with fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the students must meet the University's entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements. Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
There are no State Mandated Common Prerequisites for this program.
Total Major Hours: 25 Hours
Major Core Courses - 3 HoursUSF Capstone EXIT Requirement:
- IDS 4934 Senior Capstone for BSAS/BGS
Concentration Core Courses - 7 Hours
- EVR 2001 Introduction to Environmental Science
- EVR 2001L Environmental Science Lab
- EVR 2861 Introduction to Environmental Policy
Concentration Elective Courses - 15 Hours
Choose 9 credits from the following:
- EVR 4027 Wetland Environments
- EVR 4033 Environmental Regulation
- EVR 4104 Karst Environments
- EVR 4114 Climate Change
- GEO 4502 Economic Geography
Choose 6 credits from the following:
- EVR 4807 Sustainable Healthy Environments
- EVR 4930 Selected Topics
- GEO 4340 Natural Hazards
- GEO 4372 Global Conservation
- GEO 4421 Cultural Geography
- GEO 4471 Political Geography
- GEO 4604 Topics in Urban Geography
- GEO 4700 Transportation Geography
- GIS 4043C Geographical Information Systems
- PAD 3003 Introduction to Public Administration
- PAD 4144 Non-Profit Organizations and Public Policy
- PAD 4930 Selected Topics in Public Administration and Public Policy
- POS 3142 Introduction to Urban Politics and Government
- POS 3182 Florida Politics and Government
- URP 4052 Urban and Regional Planning